Am now back from the Christening. Yes, it certainly deserves a capital letter! All Went Well, fortunately. The service was wonderful - a really Proper service, with lots of 'meet and right so to do's', which were vastly approved of in the right quarters! The charming rector did like to Go On, however. The Intercessions were seemingly endless, and certain heavy emphasisisises were placed, thus: 'We pray for the holy Catholick (note original spelling!) church, ESPECIALLY THE REFORMED BRANCH WHICH OUR CHURCH BELONGS TO'. And also, 'We pray for OUR COUNTRY, ENGLAND, andalltherestoftheunitedkingdomandnortherireland'. One was certainly sure where his allegiances lay!
My godmothering duties were beautifully executed. However, when it came to the congregations' rendetion of Veni Creator Spiritus, executed was the operative word! Executed and buried in an unconsecrated grave at the crossroads, with a stake through its heart! Ev much maligned me by Internally Sniggering when the Master was admonishing us godparents to make sure Miles grew up virtuous. Hmph, I know about being virtuous! I hath been a virgin from my tender infancy, chaste and immaculate in very thought (credit - Shakespeare)!
Now, the reception. There were lots of esteemeed personages there, including Lords, Right Honourables, and MP's. Although MP's aren't really distinguished, are they?! Ev and I were not precisely drunk, but we had the drink taken! It wasn't our fault, the waiter kept coming round with the champagne in a terribly obliging fashion, and we didn't want the poor man to get disheartened. We were all rather disappointed with the canapes, however. Lovely as they were, there simply weren't enough of them! All was lovely until I was approached by the Man In The Tie (Maddie: "Do you think he knows?") Fortunately I was saved from Dear Jeremy, but a rather geeky personage named Chrithtopher Jordan approached Ev and I in the middle of a theologicakl discussion. You can just tell when such persons want to join the conversation, they have That Look about them!But all is over now, and I am home and stocking up on food, as the canapes (can o' pees) won't sustain me through!
All is exciting on the Maddie front, her and Scott (as was of Katie) have been Behaving Improperly together! My blessings be on them, Maddie deserves something sensible. Someone, I should say. She definitely doesn't need Jon and Va acting like parents, and Aiden acting like...well, Aiden, which is bad enough by anyone's standards!
Have also been engaged in Talks with Ev. It is so nice to have Talks with Ev. Particularly as she knows what we are Talking about. There are putative plans for a general Paul-assisted prodding, which my blessing is on. All must surely come to light soon, pouncing or otherwise?
In other news, my NaNo plot goes well, and I have chapters from Ev to read, which is lovely and exciting. Simon has absolutely become Joseph now, and it suits him down to the ground, although I am emphatic that he is not going to be a blonde, angelic, pointy-of-featured choirboy-ish type. Goodness, we saw so many of those today! Positively waiting to be corrupted, I swear!Well, over and out for now, although I have realised saying that makes me sound tragically like an army or navy person. Perhaps I should finish on a Lord Nelson-ish note, to be topical of the current time, and simply say:
Kiss me, Hardy!
...or near enough!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment